I will never forget...

Nine years ago today, I was parking my car on the K-State campus, preparing to go to my Mass Communications Research class, when over the radio was broadcast news of a plane crashing into the World Trade Center. I stayed glued to the radio, listening intently to what was unfolding... then came plane number 2.

I couldn't believe what was happening. Needless to say, I didn't go to class that day. I don't think many people did, and those who were already in class had it canceled. I walked through the student union and witnessed something I don't think I'll ever see again. Everyone in the union was huddled around the big-screen TV in the lounge area, watching in horror as our great nation was being attacked. Some were crying, some were pale with shock and disbelief.

I made my way to the Collegian newsroom, where I found much of the same. Those of us in that room knew we were preparing to report on one of the biggest news stories of our lifetime. It was very difficult to concentrate on my work because I just wanted to watch the TV. I did the same when I later went to my other campus job in the Research and Extension office.

When I got home that day, Joel, me and our good friend, Andy, sat in our living room, glued to the news. I just sobbed at all of the images from the day... the two towers... the Pentagon... the Pennsylvania field...

Like the Pearl Harbor attack, Kennedy assassination or the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion, those who witnessed the terrorist attacks of 9/11/01 will always remember where they were and what they were doing when their lives changed forever. I can't believe it's already been 9 years since that fateful day.

To borrow from another blog:
May we never forget the pain.
May we never forget the lives lost.
May we never forget the heroes.
May we never forget the way we became a nation united.
May we never forget that we are the most incredible nation in the world.
And may we never forget that it was God that saw us through that terrible time.

I know I will never forget.

God bless you all as you remember 9/11...


Comments

Popular Posts