A Taste of Christmas

Every year, the week after Thanksgiving, my church holds "A Taste of Christmas." This year, it was on Dec. 2. It is a recipe taste-around where participants submit recipes to be published in a cookbook. They get to decorate their own tables and provide samples of their recipes to the public. We also have live music and fun door prizes. For the past 2 years, I have been the co-chair of the event. It is a lot of fun, but also A LOT of work!!!

Because I was so busy running around making sure the evening ran smoothly, I did not have time to take pictures of the actual event. However, you can read more about the event and see a church photo here.

I did snag a couple of photos AFTER the event of the girls. They were supposed to be helping me clean up, but instead found themselves entertained by a microphone...


Here is a picture of this year's cookbook:


My co-chair and I made over 100 of these, cutting and hole-punching them by hand. I had cramps and a bruise on my right hand from the hole-puncher for a week! But, the event is so much fun that I am going to be the co-chair again next year (what was I thinking?) :-)

Though I've only helped organize it for 2 years, I've actually participated in the event for 4 years now. This year, my recipe was "Beefy Black Bean & Corn Chili." The recipe is below. My family has quickly come to love it. The flavor is amazing - I think it's the beef broth. I think Joel likes it because of the beans! It's SUPER EASY! I hope you like it:

Beefy Black Bean & Corn Chili
by Amber Koehn
Serves 6 (1 cup each)


1 lb. ground round
1 packet chili seasoning
1 (14 oz.) pkg. frozen corn
1 can black beans (not drained)
1 (14 oz) can beef broth
1 (15 oz) can seasoned tomato sauce

shredded cheese (opt)
sour cream (opt)
chopped green onions (opt)

Combine beef and chili seasoning in large Dutch oven. Cook over medium-high heat until beef is browned. Stir in frozen corn, broth and tomato sauce - bring to a boil. Add can of black beans. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Place in bowls and top with cheese, sour cream and onions, if desired. Serve with corn bread.

Comments

Popular Posts