Our May... so far...

In my last couple of posts, I mentioned that in the month of April, we ran here, there and everywhere! Well, May, so far, has not slowed down any for us. Here's what we've been up to:

The girls got a new table and chairs set so they don't always have to dirty up our coffee table in the living room. It's pink (is there any other color?) and it's Disney Princesses (are there any other princesses?). Here's a picture of the table and chairs...


And, of course, we had to break in the new set by making cookies...


Sunday was, of course, Mother's Day. It was a really wonderful day, but very busy! I had waited up the night before for Joel to get home from work. He got home shortly before midnight, so we rang in Mother's Day at the stroke of 12:00 (then it was definitely off to bed!!!). I really wasn't expecting him to get me anything (he's really not that sentimental), but he did surprise me with a very nice card and a book that I have been wanting for a long time - "A Slobbering Love Affair: The True and Pathetic Story of the Torrid Romance between Barack Obama and the Mainstream Media" by Bernard Goldberg. I've only got to read the introduction so far, but already I am enjoying it, so thanks, Joel, for making my day!

Here's a picture of my book...


Then, after waking up at the crack of dawn, it was off to church, where I had to be by 8:20. I am one of the children's choir directors. Every Mother's Day, the moms and the kids sing a song together. This year, to add something special to the song, one of our computer guys created a Power Point slide of baby photos of all the moms and kids. It was really neat. They sang for both services, so I was at church until about 12:30. Here is a picture of the group right before singing for 2nd service (my Dad, who took the photo for me, forgot to actually get me directing)...


After church, the girls and I went over to my parent's house and had lunch (Joel was working until 5:00). My dad grilled hamburgers, and we had baked beans, potato salad, brownies and lemon pie (yum!). The battery in my camera died at that point, and I didn't have the spare with me, so I'm sad I didn't get to take any pictures of my mom or the events at her house. I did get her a really nice wooden music box (she loves music boxes), and she is still gushing about it.

While we were there, the girls got really cranky, so while they napped, I got to enjoy my gift from my parents - the movie "Last Chance Harvey" starring Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. It is a really cute film about a guy who is on the verge of losing everything important to him, and 1 chance meeting with a complete stranger changes everything. I highly recommend it. That was the first time in a long time I got to watch a movie (at home) without screaming kids and a hundred interruptions!!! Here is a picture of the movie case...


When the girls woke up, we went back home to get ready for the celebration at my in-laws' house in Andover. It was my mother-in-law Mary's birthday on Saturday, so it was kind of a joint birthday/Mother's Day party. We had LOTS of food, from grilled turkey and chicken, to Oriental salad, strawberry whip, chips and dip, bread and a DQ ice cream cake (wonder where we got that idea from???). Here's a photo of the dinner spread (new battery in camera)...


And here's Natalie doing her best at praying before dinner...


After dinner, Grace decided to play bubbles. Well, she accidentally spilled some on her dress and decided that it should go in Grandma's dryer. I told her that she needed to wear something else until it dried, but we didn't have anything, so my mother-in-law searched through her closet and found the smallest T-shirt she could. Um, it's still just a wee bit big...


Then, Grace and Natalie decided it was time to play with Luke - Joel's sister Sarah and her husband Marc's son. Luke is the only cousin the girls have right now. Hopefully, Amber's brother, Shawn, will someday have kids. And, hopefully, Sarah and Marc will have at least 1 more. Here's some pictures of the kiddos together: Grace holding "Baby Luke" (she LOVES to hold him); Luke giving Grace a kiss on the nose; and all three sitting nicely in a chair together...


The evening wrapped up with gifts (I got a Starbucks gift card to indulge my full-blown addiction to the java), dessert and a VERY tired mom...


Thanks, everyone, for making it a GREAT Mother's Day!!!

On Monday, Joel, me and the girls went to a "Family Fun Night" hosted by the Rose Hill Parents as Teachers organization. PAT is a program that has "parent educators" come to people's homes and provide educational, as well as parental, advice and tips. Our parent educator is Kim, and she is wonderful. I actually went to high school with her - she's Joel's age - so it makes the experience that much more enjoyable. We play games, work on gross motor skills, assess learning ability, etc. Grace graduated from the program last summer when she turned 3, but Natalie still participates.

Last night we went to the PAT facility and had a great time. The girls played on inflatables and other fun toys, and we were treated to a pizza dinner (yum!). Joel and I both won door prizes (he a dinner for two at our local Louie's Restaurant and I a coffee mug, mouse pad and coupon to Sonic). There are actually several families from our church who participate in this program, so it was fun hanging out with them, as well. Here's some pics of the evening...


Grace ate 4 pieces of pizza and drank 2 juice boxes (we really think she's on a growth spurt). She apparently went back to bouncing too soon and got a side ache in one of the inflatables. Here she is, holding her side... :-(


It was a really fun evening for the girls (they didn't want to leave), and they slept pretty well last night (OK... well enough for them...).

To end this novel post on another good note: I went to the dentist this morning for my 6-month check-up and NO CAVITIES!!! YEA!!! :-D

Here's to some more busy days ahead...
~A

Comments

Popular Posts