OK, OK, here's a blog post... FINALLY!!!

Everyone keeps asking me, "When are you going to post another blog?" Well, these past couple of weeks have had me running EVERYWHERE!!! Right after Easter, I was transferred to another branch that is on the west side of Wichita. From Rose Hill, it's about a 40-45 minute drive every day. I've been trying to adjust, but sometimes all I do is rush, rush, rush.

On top of that, we've had 2 birthday parties, a housewarming party, a baby shower and an American Cancer Society benefit to attend, all within the past couple of weeks. Needless to say, I'm glad to finally catch a break!

So, this post is LONG overdue. Please bear with me, as it could get kind of lengthy. I want to update everyone on what we've been doing.

First, here are the much anticipated Easter pics of the girls. They weren't in the picture-taking mood that day, so it took me a while to finally get a few shots worth keeping...


The weekend after Easter, Joel and I went to a housewarming party for one of Joel's really good friends, Andy Lindseth. Andy was the best man in our wedding. He just bought his first house, and we are so excited for him. Joel wanted to stop by Lowe's on the way over and buy Andy a tree. Problem is, Andy doesn't even have a yard - brand new house! :-) Eventually, after grass is put in, we will be more than happy to provide some landscaping! Congrats, Andy!

I forgot to take my camera with me to take a picture of Andy's house, so here is a picture of Andy, me and Joel when we were still in college at K-State. I think this was taken before Joel and I got married, but I'm not sure of the exact date. We'll say circa 2000...


The weekend after that, two boys that go to church with us and also go to the same day care as the girls, had birthdays. Zander turned 5 and Anthen turned 3. Their parents had a joint birthday party for them at the church, complete with an inflatable bounce cage. Once Natalie got in, she didn't want to get back out. Grace had so much fun that when it was time to go she said, "Mommy, I don't want to go home. I don't want to leave the party." :-(

What was really special about this party is that the boys' parents, Thane and Becky, requested no gifts. Instead, we were all to bring non-perishable food items to donate to the local food bank. Also, instead of candy and junk toys for party favors, the kids each got to plant a marigold flower and take it home with them. Very creative, guys, and what valuable lessons the kids are learning! Thank you!

Here's a couple of pictures of the girls playing in the cage...


That same weekend, some friends of mine from church had a "Jack and Jill" baby shower (men and women invited) for their first child. They are having a boy, whom they've decided to call Cooper. Cooper has been giving mom Jodi some fits lately (mainly, wanting to come early and causing contractions and other complications). Jodi and dad Eric have been to the hospital several times to get the contractions to stop. False labor can be exhausting - mentally, physically and emotionally (I had 2 with Natalie). I know they really want that baby to come, but he's got another 2-3 weeks to cook. I haven't heard any news this weekend, so I'm hoping no news is good news. We're praying for you guys!

This weekend has been no different. The girls were invited to another birthday party on Saturday, which we couldn't go to because I was volunteering at Spring Fling, a women's fair in Derby (suburb of Wichita), that showcased a lot of local vendors. There were seminars on everything from self defense to technology to skin care (discounted Botox sessions available). Also, Eric Fisher, a prominent hair stylist in the Wichita area, was giving haircuts for a $10 donation to charity. You can't beat that (although I refrained - I love my long hair... for now...). I would post a pic of me volunteering, but I don't have one yet. I'm still waiting for it to be e-mailed to me.

Saturday night, Joel and I attended the 20th annual Cattleman's Ball, a fund raiser for the American Cancer Society. It was at the Wichita Cowtown Museum. My bank is one of the premier sponsors, so we got to sit at a VIP table and enjoy all of the VIP ammenities. Everything was outside, from a posted bid auction, dinner buffet, live auction and concerts from local country musicians. The food was really good, especially in the VIP room. Joel refused to dance, which was OK, because it started raining on us. Luckily, we were under a tent for most of the festivities, and we only got rained on when we left.

Here's some pictures of us relaxing after dinner, before the auctions started. As you can see, it was a very casual atmosphere. The third picture is of a duel re-enactment (only they were shooting glass balls instead of each other). Ahh, the shoosting...


The theme for the night was "Hope on the Range." In our take-home goodie bags was a memory book, filled with stories of hope and faith (from some who survived cancer, and from family members of some who didn't). Last night really weighed on my heart as I thought about Joel and Jessica McClenahan and their 11-month-old baby girl, Cora, who lost her battle with cancer back in February. I think about them almost every day and the struggles I know they're still going through. Every year, I participate in the ACS Relay for Life with the bank. I've had family members who have battled cancer, so it's a cause I'm more than willing to support. This year will be a little different, as I will not only be participating for my family, but for Cora, as well. Here's an excerpt from the book:

God saw you getting tired,
And a cure was not to be.
So he put his arms around you,
And whispered, "Come to me."
With tearful eyes we watched you,
And saw you pass away.
And though we loved you dearly,
We could not make you stay.
A golden heart stopped beating,
Hard working hands at rest.
God broke our hearts to prove to us,
He only takes the best.

~Author unknown

It was a really fun and inspirational evening, and I enjoyed going back and looking at the museum exhibits and walking around. I hadn't been to Cowtown since high school, so it was fun reminiscing. We are definitely taking the girls there - I think they would have a good time.

So, that brings us to today, when the girls are napping peacefully and I'm finally getting a chance to update you all. I'll leave you with a short video of Natalie, dancing in her favorite grass skirt (please excuse the messy playroom). Too cute!!!

Comments

Popular Posts