Scoring one for the budget

Joel gets paid on the 15th and last days of the month, so sometimes there is more than 2 weeks between paychecks. It's not so much a plus when you're trying to make your dollars stretch, especially those few extra days at the end of each pay period. So, I do a little celebrating when I score one for the budget.

Today was one of those days.

I spent the morning going food shopping for the next week and a half. Trying to make the grocery budget stretch those couple of extra days before pay day was going to be a challenge, especially for a family of 6 (well, 5 1/2 if you don't count the baby).  :-)

Anyway, I managed to get everything I needed for our meals (I spent an hour and a half last night planning what we were going to have each night and putting a shopping list together) - plus a few extra "splurges" - for around $150. Breaking it down per person, that is $3.40 per person, per day!!! I think $1 a meal per person isn't too shabby if I do say so myself! I was so proud of myself for keeping my grocery budget in check, especially when this has been the one area in the past that has always gotten away from us. And, I paid with cash and used a calculator so I wouldn't go over budget.

I'm finally starting to get the hang of this budgeting thing, and I'm proud! Score one for the budget!

By the way, here's what I managed to come up with for the next week and a half (all meals include a veggie and/or side dish):

M - Baked spaghetti
Tu - Chicken noodle casserole
W - Family dinner out (parents are paying!)
Th - Leftovers
F - Hobo casserole
Sa - Oven-baked tacos
S - Leftovers
M - Burritos
Tu - Chicken and rice
W - pay day and a new shopping trip!

Comments

Popular Posts