Clutter-Busting Challenge: Day 10

“Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you, and in this materialistic age a great many of us are possessed by our possessions.” - Peace Pilgrim

If you've been following along lately, you will most likely remember this post about busting the clutter in your house. Today is Day 10 of the challenge to get rid of at least 7 things a day, every day this month. So, we should be up to at least 70 things, and I can say that we have easily surpassed that!

It's amazing how much "stuff" we amass over the months and years. Where does it all come from and why must we insist on hanging on to it, even if we never use it? Such is the story in our household. In January, I took a lot of the girls' old clothes and stuff to Goodwill, but it seemed like it hardly made a dent. My sister-in-law's garage sale last week came at a perfect time, because it was at the beginning of the month and I was able to use that as an excuse to get rid of a bunch of stuff. I didn't have a lot of time to go through everything I wanted, but we still managed to score a little over $60 and the stuff that is left over will go in our garage sale later this summer.

Anyway, I've been spending this afternoon going through the kitchen. Ugh, what a chore! That garage sale pile just keeps building and building...

Here's a picture of our busted clutter, minus what we sold at my sister-in-law's garage sale (there's a lot of little things in the boxes, too):


This reminds me of a blog I stumbled upon some time ago. I had searched for "living minimally" after one of my pastor's sermons, and came across this great site. It's by a man named Joshua Becker. One of his articles is about "Seven Common Problems Solved By Owning Less." It truly is an interesting read, and it really makes you think about becoming less materialistic. I highly recommend it. He's also got a book that I'm thinking about purchasing or borrowing:


What great principles to live by. Now, I'd better get back to busting that clutter!

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a fabulous post! I LOVE what Joshua Becker has stated! Thanks for sharing!

Popular Posts