The Zoo (And a Scavenger Hunt)

I decided to take a break from editing vacation photos to write a short post about our most recent trip to the zoo.

Monday was a day off from school for Martin Luther King Jr. Day. And for January, the weather was unseasonably warm (like 70 degrees warm). The girls and I have all been suffering through our annual round of winter colds. So after being cooped up for several days because of the chilly temps, I decided some fresh air would do us all some good. I decided a trip to the zoo would be fun. We have a zoo membership, so we frequent the exhibits. I can't tell you how many times I've stood and stared at the three giant tortoises.

Intriguing.

This time, though, I wanted to do something different with the girls to keep things fresh and exciting. I thought a scavenger hunt might be fun. I searched around online and found some really great (free) ones here. I was able to download different hunts for their different ages so they would still be learning while they had fun.

I packed lunch in our cooler, made sure we had all of our scavenger hunt materials, and we were off!

When we got to the zoo, we quickly discovered that everyone else in the Wichita area had the same idea we had. It was B.U.S.Y. But, we were still able to see plenty of exhibits. I was so busy helping the girls with their scavenger hunts that I failed to take a lot of pictures. I did catch a few shots, though.

This smarty-pants found an error on one of her sheets: the giraffe and zebra labels were switched!

This one was excited about all of the pretty animal pictures on her hunt!

Grace's hunt was pretty challenging. She had to classify animals into different species, label the vulnerable, threatened and endangered ones, and tell which animals lived in various environments. I wish I would have taken a picture of her engrossed in her tasks. Oh, well. That's a memory just for me, I guess. She also helped Sydney with her hunt. They had fun.  :-)

Right before lunch, we had to make a stop to feed the ducks and fish. I think the greedy ducks got most of the take...


Soon, it was time to go home. We left a little disheartened because we wanted to catch a glimpse of the lions, but they were off exhibit that day. Guess that will be for another trip.

As I was packing the car and putting things away to leave, I caught a glimpse of Maddie's worksheet. Oh, to be 4 again...

That's one way to complete a scavenger hunt!

At least she had fun...

We all did. And we learned some, too. It was a great January day at the zoo!

Comments

Popular Posts