Polka Dots on Parade

I am just a tad behind on blog posts (a tad = 3 months). But, I want to first post about Sydney's 2nd birthday before she turns 3.  :-)

Not quite 2 weeks ago, a certain little someone thought she needed to turn another year older, despite her mama's attempts at keeping her little forever.



After three kids, I was looking for something unique to do for the fourth's #2. I scoured Pinterest for ideas and decided to go with polka dots. Just telling you now, folks, it was SO CUTE!! I am not a crafty person, so whenever I stumble upon something I can actually pull off, it makes me happy.  :-)


I found these balloons at the local party store. They had several different dot designs to choose from, so I let Sydney pick out the ones she wanted. I love that she picked out two purple ones...

The morning of her party, we began constructing the polka dot cake - another Pinterest find. I didn't take a lot of pictures during the process (and believe me, it was a process), but basically, you adapt one box of cake mix to a recipe for cake pops. You divide it into multiple bowls for tinting, then bake the balls in a cake pop pan. Then, you prepare another cake mix (white) with a few modifications. You pour a little of the mix into two 9" (or three 6") pans, place the cake balls in a random design in the pans, then scrape the remaining batter on top of the balls. You bake, cool, then ice and decorate.



Besides cake and presents, there really isn't a whole lot more you can do at a 2-year-old's party. However, crafting was an idea I got from a friend. But what to do with a polka dot theme??

I'm prefacing this now by saying I came up with these crafts all on my own, no Pinterest needed! So, Sydney really enjoyed using paint daubers to paint a pumpkin craft at the local library for Halloween (one of the backlogged blog posts), so I got the bright idea to get some paint daubers and print off turkeys (since we are in November now). All of the kids LOVED it (I'm including my niece and nephew in the aforementioned "all")!!





The next craft we did was make our own polka dot balloons with plain white balloons and dot stickers. Brilliant!!






Then, it was present time. Sydney had LOTS of help from her sisters...



She had lots of fun tearing the paper.  :-)  And then we moved on to cake and ice cream. Sydney decided to blow the candles out before we finished singing to her. LOL!




And now for the big reveal. How did the polka dots turn out???





Freaking. Awesome.

My piece had the two purple polka dots in it. Of course!! I couldn't tell if anyone liked it, though. They ate it all before I could ask them...  ;-)

Pinterest win!!

And so, another birthday is in the books. It was a fun evening and I'm glad our families could come and celebrate with us. Here are a couple more pics of the birthday girl:



She loved her new cupcake outfit. She cracks me up.

To finish out the weekend, said birthday girl also decided she was too big for her crib and wanted to move up to the toddler bed. After some debating, we decided to go ahead and do it. So, for the last time in more than 9 years, our crib was retired.

I cried.


This last picture is of Teddy. That weekend, he also got a new hair cut. I had to post a picture of him posing in his bandana...


How can you ever get mad at THAT face???

Thanks for reading,
~A

Comments

Popular Posts