Just Keep Swimming (And Other Things That Motivate Me)

First, I have to say that I am NOT a runner. If you want to get technical, by definition, I guess you could classify me as one because, on occasion, I put one foot in front of the other at a somewhat rapid pace and travel down the road. But, in all reality, I'm really not. I run every now and then, but have been doing so a lot more lately because of this guy:


This past weekend, he ran the 10-mile Turkey Trot in about 1 hour and 35 minutes. He finished in the top 1/2 of the racers. Basically, he rocked it. You guys, for someone who hasn't run since the fall of 1995, that's pretty impressive! Biking first gave him his endurance and leg strength, which then carried over into running. I can hardly believe that the same guy who used to shudder at the thought of exercise and swear up and down that he would live the 0.0 lifestyle forever now gets upset if he misses a day pounding the pavement. I think he's becoming he IS addicted now.

I, on the other hand, prefer pretty much any other form of exercise to running. It's true that while I'm out on the road, I can clear my head in peace, with only the beats in my ear buds to keep me company. And the calorie burn is contagious. However, I would much rather be in a boot camp or circuit training class or a cardio/weight class than out running.

That's just me.

But, I do it anyway, mainly because it has helped provide variety in my workouts and has aided me in breaking through my most recent weight loss plateau. And also because it forces me to push myself in ways I never have before...


I'm slow. God, I'm slow. Speed walkers would probably pass me in a race. But when I'm out there, I always commit to running the entire time, no matter what. I never stop to catch my breath. I never stop for a side ache. I never stop when it's raining and mascara is running down my face, burning my eyes. And in addition to that, each time I'm out I always set at least one other mini goal: run for a certain distance, run for a certain time, run for a certain caloric burn.


I may not post noteworthy times, but I always finish what I start...


And the guy above keeps me going.

Today was a "cheat day" of sorts for me. I had every intention of being good because Thanksgiving is in a couple of days and I didn't want to go back to looking like this guy:


My husband had the day off work today, so after my 4-year-old was picked up from pre-school, we went in to Chick-fil-A. The chicken is OK, but I go for the waffle fries. I mean, seriously, you can't go to Chick-fil-A and not get waffle fries. But today, I was going to be good and get grilled chicken nuggets and a salad.

Was.

And then I smelled the fries.

Bye-bye, salad.

And then said husband made this comment: "I want some ice cream. Doesn't ice cream sound good to you?"

Well, DUH! I just finished an 8-day challenge - of COURSE ice cream sounds good to me!!

So then I found myself scarfing down a small Pumpkin Pie Blizzard. Sick! Not the Blizzard, but how I felt after eating that Blizzard. Sugar is just gross.

So then said husband says, "You're going to go for a run later, so it's OK. Do six miles today. Six."

{{Insert crazy wife look here.}}

SIX MILES??? The most I've ever done was five, and I was staggering to the driveway like a 21-year-old on a pub crawl. No way could I do six yet. I just didn't feel ready.

Well, after we got home, I made the mistake of lying down on the couch. A nasty fast-food hangover set in, and I was ready for a nap. About an hour or so later, I finally made myself get up and put my runners on.

"Good job, honey," I heard from the other room. "Go for six. You can do it."

"We'll see," I replied.

Still depleted from my 8-day, and with a belly full of nastiness, I wasn't sure how well this was going to go. About 3 miles in, leg fatigue started to set in. I pushed on. Toe pain hit about mile 4. I pushed on. Around mile 5, I said a little prayer and asked God to carry me. I also learned a little trick from Lysa Terkeurst called, "Ten Fingers":

I. Can. Do. All. Things. Through. Christ. Who. Strengthens. Me.

Ten words. Ten fingers. Count them out, over and over. Repeat to yourself that everything IS possible with Christ in your corner.

When you do, things like this happen:


This is the farthest I've ever run. EVER. I was also impressed with my average pace per mile. Definitely faster than what I've been running.

I can't tell you what it means to me that my hubby is FINALLY on this journey with me. It was so hard walking this path alone. His support and encouragement are everything to me. A lifestyle change is always better when someone else commits to doing it with you. I couldn't be prouder of myself, and I couldn't be prouder of him for all of his successes.

He motivates me and challenges me and gives me the strength to keep going.

As does God.

And Dory... (Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...)

I would like to leave you with a couple of my favorite strength verses (in addition to the one above):

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."  ~Joshua 1:9

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the Earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  Isaiah 40:28-31

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the Devil's schemes."  Ephesians 6:10-11

This is my tired, weary, scary runner's face. Nighttime. Cool grass. Dripping with sweat. At peace with the world.

Comments

Popular Posts