4th of July

This post is somewhat overdue, but we've been a little busy this past month. :-)

The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. I have really fond memories as a child going out to Western Kansas to visit family and friends and shoot off fireworks (our home movies are hilarious). It's most likely because of these memories that I always really enjoy this time of year.

This year was slightly different since I had just had a baby and kidney stone surgery. I didn't feel like my usual self, but I wanted to celebrate with family nonetheless. My brother and his girlfriend were in town to see Maddie, so they and my parents came over for dinner and fireworks. We grilled hamburgers, hot dogs and brats and had my favorite - homemade vanilla ice cream (my mom's recipe is literally the best I've ever had).

Then we hung out on the driveway and shot off fireworks. The girls really enjoyed their "Snappy Pops." Maddie just slept through everything. One thing we didn't do this year is sparklers (my mom is really afraid the girls will burn themselves). Afterward, we sat on the driveway and watched the city fireworks. We are really fortunate that they shoot them off just a block from our house.

Even though I wasn't feeling well, I still have to say I had a good time. I can't wait until next year. :-)

This last one cracks me up - the girls were soooo excited for the fireworks to start, but once they did, they both had to hold their ears. Through it all, though, they kept saying "Oooh, look at that one!" "Oooh, I like that pink one!" "Oooh, purple!" They were making us laugh! :-)

Comments

Popular Posts