Practicing Year-round Gratitude


November is such a popular month to be thankful. It is, after all, the month of Thanksgiving.

Just in case you didn't know you were supposed to be thankful in November, there are several thankful "challenges" floating around social media to remind you not only to be thankful, but what to be thankful for each day.

What did we ever do without technology?

Full disclosure: I fall for these games each year. I mean, who doesn't want to know which pair of shoes I'm most thankful for, right?

But this year, more than any other, I have been extremely cognizant of the year-round blessings. The easy blessings. The hard blessings. The punch-you-in-the-gut blessings. The everyday blessings. The tiny, unexpected blessings. The blessings that sneak up on you. The blessings you don't initially think of as blessings until they surprise you and become some of the greatest blessings.

Belly laughs
Farmers' markets
Birthday dinners
Mermaids

You might remember my blog post about reading Ann Voskamp's "1000 Gifts." It was such a profound book to read during a really low point in my life. Because of this book, I now carry around a gratitude journal and make notes in it every time I see something or hear something or experience something to be grateful for. It has really changed my attitude and outlook on life.

Random acts of kindness
Hearing the high school marching band practice from afar
Sunflower fields
Long massages

I am now thankful for at least one thing every day, even on days when I feel like crawling in a hole and hiding from the world. Even on days when there are more tears than laughs. Even on days when nothing seems to go right, and everything and everyone is plotting against me to have the worst day ever.

I find at least one thing to be thankful for.

And you know what? No matter what I'm going through or what I'm feeling, just practicing that one act of thankfulness completely changes the rest of my day. Sometimes, I have more than one blessing to be thankful for, and I make sure to write them all down. But, my goal is one a day. Since starting my journal in July, I have already collected over 300 "gifts." It doesn't seem like a lot, but re-training your brain to constantly be in gratitude mode takes some work.

Girls in the sandbox
Nature hikes
Giggles from the backseat
Silly, made-up songs

This November, and every month after, I challenge you to start a gratitude journal and be thankful for at least one thing every day. You will be amazed at how much more positive and affirming your life will become.

Bird watching
Old hymns
Sonic Happy Hour
Day trips
New pets
Mom's Night Out
Funnel cakes
Christmas music

What are your 1000 gifts? What are you thanking God for every day? Don't know?

There are blessings and joy all around. Train your brain to look for them, and start recording...

Blessings and peace,
Amber
xoxo

Comments

The immense thing about appreciation is you can learn it, hone it, share it, and maybe above all as a parent — develop it in your kid. Have a go at including some of these exercises into your day by day life to support your own appreciation and demonstrate your children how it's finished. Displaying it for them is the most ideal approach to show them. In addition, your children can go along with you in huge numbers of these exercises and make their own propensities for appreciation within the near future. They'll thank you for it… one day.
Unknown said…
I love your blog! Come check out mine
http://zoemno.blogspot.co.nz/
Unknown said…

Great work. Truly speaking I never seen a blog like that. Absolutely superb work. Good luck. Thanks for such an informative post. For more information visit k2 incense

Sarah Kiarie said…
Your blog,from a male perspective help me realise a lot i do not realise from the other perspective .kudos and they are amazing too

Popular Posts