Kindergarten: A 6-year-old's play-by-play

This past Monday (8/19), my little Natalie started kindergarten. It hardly seems possible that I have two girls in school. The days of their youth are fleeting. I miss them during the day already!



We're finally getting around to posting about her first day. Natalie got the same teacher that Grace had: Mrs. Cooper. We all love her, which I think helped Natalie with the transition (though Nat has always been one to accept change fairly well). She was very excited to see a few friends in her class, as well. And, when I dropped her off that first morning, I only choked up once. Natalie was so brave and easy-going. A far cry from her older sister's first day of kindergarten! :-)



When Natalie got off the bus after school, I got an earful about her first day. An hour later, I was still hearing about it. At bedtime, the stories continued, and when she woke up the next day, she was STILL talking about school (a lot of repeated stories, too)! It made this momma very happy. :-)

Here is Natalie's first-hand account of her first day of school:

I did music and P.E. and we had THREE recesses. In music, my teacher had some puppets and she put her fingers in there and she can put her fingers in there to make them move and fly. There was a spider and a monkey and a bee and a racoon. And Fuzzy, he lives in a box. He doesn't have any feet.

In P.E., we got to run and skip and gallop and slide and when Mr. Carr blows the whistle we have to stop and put our hands on our knees. And at recess, I played with Addi-Boo, Sammi, Rylan and Brookie and that's all.

And at lunch, I sat by Brookie and Alaina. And the toilets, they can flush by themselves. And if stuff doesn't go down, you can push the button on it and the stuff will go down. And Mrs. Cooper had us do art and that's all. And sing. That's all. And we put our backpacks in our cubbies and then we closed them.

And we read "The Kissing Hand" and drew our hands and Mrs. Cooper gave us a Clifford book and we got a new red folder and that's where we put our work in to bring home to you. And Mrs. Cooper said we have to bring it home every day.

And then I rode home with Gracie on the bus and that was AWESOME! And she let me sit with her and it was so fun! And then we were the last ones to be dropped off. And guess what! Jennifer is our bus driver again and she is super nice. And tomorrow, we get to go to art!

Now, you have to realize that I took a lot of "ands" and "ums" and "likes" out of the story, or you would be reading this forever! She went on and on and on, and her eyes were as big as boulders! I didn't think she would go to sleep that night, but once she laid down, she was OUT!  :-)

Thank you, Mrs. Cooper, for making Natalie's first day a VERY memorable one! And good luck to you, Natterbugs, on your first year of school! You are going to do AWESOME!  :-)

Grace and Natalie waiting for the bus on Natalie's 2nd day of class...

Comments

Popular Posts