Our 4th of July

Normally for the Fourth of July, Joel and I have family over, cook out, shoot off fireworks and watch the city display from our driveway. It's a little difficult and chaotic traveling with little ones, so we've kind of just started our own traditions here at home.

However, this year, I wanted to do something I haven't done since I was a little kid - go visit family and friends in Western Kansas. So, Joel and I mustered our bravery and set out with the girls and two car loads of stuff (we took two cars because we also rented a U-Haul to bring back some of my grandparents' furniture). Thankfully, the weather cooperated and it was WONDFERFUL. It was not hot or humid, and the slight breeze kept most of the bugs away. It definitely did not feel like Kansas in July!

Unfortunately, my parents were unable to come out with us, and they were missed. My grandparents were also missed. We stayed in their house, and it felt so empty without them there. I admittedly was somewhat down when we were there. I was happy we were there, but sad at the same time.

Fourths of July in Oakley, Kansas, hold a place near and dear to my heart. I wished all of my family could have been there. However, we still had a great time with my uncle Kevin and the neighbor family, the Eatons. We had cookouts, fireworks, swimming and more! What I get misty-eyed about is that my girls were getting to experience things that my brother and I experienced when we were little. They were making some of the same wonderful memories, and having a blast.

Though I'm not sure what we're going to do next year, Oakley is definitely an option to consider. It would be nice if my parents could join us, as well. Here are some of the memories from our trip:



























Comments

Popular Posts